What is yoga?
Yoga is a complete healing system that originated in India several thousand years ago. It combines physical postures (asanas) and the use of breath (pranayama) in a mindful practice to enhance, energize and nourish the functions of the body and mind.
Yoga offers a wealth of benefits physically, mentally and emotionally. Yoga can:
- Improve cardiovascular fitness
- Aid weight loss
- Strengthen and tone
- Improve flexibility and suppleness
- Improve posture
- Improve joint mobility and bone health
- Enhance the metabolism
- Reduce cortisol levels (the stress hormone)
- Strengthen the nervous system, reducing long-term stress levels
- Increase serotonin and dopamine
- Reduce blood pressure
- Lower the pulse rate
- Massage internal glands and organs of the body, to help prevent disease
- Improve circulation and lymphatic drainage, helping the body to flush out toxins from the system
Through doing yoga I have found inner peace, emotional strength, physical stability and stamina, mental equilibrium and confidence. I believe yoga can help combat the effects of our modern lifestyles which result in stress and disease. It can create a state of balance, strengthen the immune system and help develop energy, enthusiasm and happiness to help discover the wonder of your life’s journey and help you onto the path to fulfilling your life’s full potential.